Boy Genius.

This $5 Old Navy shirt that I got Gio when he was still in diapers is my favorite shirt in his closet.  I love the bright orange color.  I love the sentiment and I love how it looks on him.

When I took this photo, I knew I'd be using it on a layout.  So I tried to take shots that looked "artistic".  I wasn't too successful because the background makes no sense, but I still love his pose, outfit and nerdy glasses.



I used an array of paper craft company collections to complete this layout including Pink Paislee, October Afternoon, Freckled Fawn, Studio Calico, The Twinery, Simple Stories, American Crafts and Recollections.

The background was made with a Heidi Swapp polka dot stencil, paintbrush and watercolor paint.  I sprayed the SC feathers and also painted on them.



Adding twine is messy and tricky.
If you want it to look random just put a glob of glue anywhere and swirl it up randomly.
If you want some sort of order to the "mess",
first apply the adhesive in the shape/form you like, and then add the twine along the glue-line.
(see photo below)



I wanted the word "GENIUS" for the title to be red,
but I didn't have them available for the letters I needed.
The next best thing was to paint over these
white American Crafts fabric-type alphas with watercolor paint.
It was pretty messy and messed up my layout a little...




I added touches of teal & red to the all black dotted "faux leopard" background,
for a little interesting pop.
(and to cover the minor mess that "GENIUS" made on my layout - lol)






I had so much fun creating this layout, using the Scrap365 sketch challenge, and I hope you will bust out some 12x12 paper and join me in getting back into the heart of scrapbooking.

post signature



Challenges
1 - Scrap 365 - sketch challenge.
2 - Southern Girls - diecuts and/or punches.
3 - Mei Li Paperie - inspired by orange and the black messy doodling.
4 - Mixed Media Monthly - sprays & inks.



Follow on Bloglovin

13 comments

Donna B. said...

Wow! That's an awesome layout! I love how you put all the pieces together its stunning! Thanks so much for joining us at the first Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.

Bellaidea said...

Great story and very cute page, thank you so much for joining Scrap 365 challenge!

Lynn K said...

Great layout! Love the dotted background and all the mixed media elements! Thanks for joining us in our first Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

Unknown said...

Fantastic scrap page and I love the little tips and techniques you've included in your post too. Awesome :)

Terhi Koskinen said...

Thank you for sharing those tips with us. Your layout looks just great, I especially looove that string you used. Well done, wonderfully!!
Thank you for playing along with us at Scrap365 <3

Jasmine S said...

Fabulous boy page. You have used the sketch perfectly and love those black dots. Thanks for playing with us this month at Scrap365 :)

Tina Campbell said...

Super cute layout, just love the variety of textures you used on this layout too

Lyne said...

Love how you explained your process and how you altered the letters to suit the colors you needed. Thanks for joining us at Southern Girls Challenge

Rachel said...

well now this is just an amazingly creative page! thanks for sharing all your tips along the way... coloring the alpha thickers is a great idea! Thank you so much for getting inky with us at the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!
-Rachel
rwkrafts.com

Lalo said...

Another totally cool layout! Funny too but I always buy way too big but super cute clothes for all my babies. Must be a mom thing!

Lalo
-Mixed Media Mothly Challenge DT

Melanie said...

What a great page! Which watercolor paints did you use?

Thanks for playing along with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

Melanie Douthit
DT Mixed Media Monthly Challenge Blog

Fearless said...

wow! such a great page! thank you for playing along with us at scrap 365!
xoxo

annette said...

great interpretation of the sketch and I love those black dots. Thanks for playing with us this month at Scrap365 ...